How do we introduce this to potential and existing clients?
- “Given that the cost of executive turnover is estimated to be three to five times an executive’s total compensation, we offer search-related assessment to provide additional information about candidates to help inform decision making. Our clients find this information to be useful in hiring for senior roles, as it helps differentiate candidates in terms of leadership style and cultural fit. Finalist candidates are assessed using online leadership questionnaires and in-depth behavioral interviewing. Feedback to the successful candidate can also help ensure a faster and more effective integration into the organization. In addition to selection, our objective executive assessment solutions support decisions regarding succession, leadership development, acquisition due diligence, merger integration, and team effectiveness. Our assessment services are offered in collaboration with our strategic partner, OnPoint Consulting, which allows us to maintain the appropriate separation between search and assessment and ensures that our clients are provided with objective and unbiased advice.”
- “RSR Partners has created a leadership assessment capability to help on a wide range of projects at executive, C-suite, CEO, and board-level assessment. She can do full-scope assessment, which combines testing with customized deep-dive competency-based interviewing as well as referencing, or she can provide online testing only as an option. We have an informal partnership with Darleen largely because our partners (and our clients) have been so satisfied with her and her work. We would be happy to pass along more detailed information and sample reports from her, or you may simply wish to chat with her by phone. Either way, we can assure you of complete objectivity, confidentiality, and critical rigor in her process. Darleen’s typical fees per candidate are $15,000.00 for full assessment and reporting, and $5,000.00 for online testing and reporting.”
- “We would strongly recommend utilizing a formal leadership assessment approach that will help differentiate and benchmark candidates in terms of leadership style and cultural fit. This approach will also provide insights to help create a development plan based upon the feedback to help maximize the individual’s potential impact on the organization. Our assessment services are conducted in collaboration with our strategic partner Darleen DeRosa at OnPoint Consulting, which allows us to maintain the appropriate separation between search and assessment and ensures that our clients are provided with objective and unbiased advice.
How is this differentiated than what our large competitors are doing?
- Our competitors try to maintain a “Chinese wall” between search and assessment, but it is difficult to ensure as the same company employs everyone. The legal risk and brand perception risk is increased when one side of the business has business conflicts. We believe that having an integrated but independent capability better ensures that those risk and issues are reduced.
- Open architecture approach that provides access to all the best leadership testing in the marketplace. Clients are not limited to using only captive diagnostics tools. Our competitors only offer the diagnostic tools to their clients that they own. In many circumstances, those tools and approaches are not right for the client situation. As we are not beholden to this constraint, Darleen and her team can customize and tailor it to each client’s unique culture and objectives.
- Designed for companies that need a transformational leader who will have significant impact on the company.
What are some questions you can ask clients to assess/identify a need?
- Ensure your research is up to date about an organization and then discuss their strategic objectives and challenges.
- Ask the client about their perception of the quality of the leadership team (e.g., compare the quality of the team to their internal standards and to their competitors).
- If the client has a positive outlook on leadership, point out that assessment will help them enhance succession planning and leadership development to ensure success.
- If they are uncertain about the quality of leadership, point out that assessment can help them be more certain about the status of this important issue.
- If a client has a negative view of their leadership, point out that assessment helps pinpoint problems and solutions.
Other potential questions to ask.
- What is your current succession management strategy? Are you comfortable with the size and quality of your talent pipeline?
- How will you determine who should fill key positions on the newly formed management team?
- Describe your current selection system. Are you satisfied with the success rate for new hires?
- What is your retention strategy?
- What is the turnover in key positions? What does that represent in cost to the company?
- Are leaders in key positions nearing retirement? What impact will the retirement of these leaders have on your organization?
- What issues and challenges do you have with the current leadership team?
- Given that the transition from mid-level to top executive is a large gap, how do you prepare people for the jump?
How do we include these new capabilities into our proposals/confirming letters?
- We have included a description of these new capabilities in our standard fee letters for executive search, which reside in the “Templates” folder in Encore.